This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Just imagine waking up in the middle of the night, to find that your smart phone has set on fire. This is what happened to a Samsung Galaxy S III owner a couple of nights ago. This is how he described it in a post on Reddit:

Last night at about 3:15am EST (about 1 hour after i plugged it in and went to sleep) I was awoken by a loud noise and a weird squeaking sound. (I charge my phone while I’m sleeping on my bed right next to me)

So, I woke up, and saw a ton of smoke coming out of my phone — it also smelled REALLY bad. Half asleep, I jumped out of bed and turned the light on, only to see that my phone was just beginning to go on fire. I dumped a glass of water I had in the room on it to stop it from burning…then woke up my brother to come help. The smoke smelled so bad and wafted through the entire second floor of my house. I had a foam mattress pillow top that had a hole burned through it too–which we later threw out because it was still burning throughout. Also, some of the plastic on my phone was melting and kind of shooting out of it, and some landed on my pinky finger and burned some skin off (very small burn though)…

ALSO: To answer many questions: EVERYTHING was stock/Samsung that I had received when I purchased my phone. Stock battery, charger, etc. Additionally, my phone was NOT rooted.

Samsung has been made aware of the issue and said:

”Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation,” wrote a Samsung representative. “We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.”

Lets hope they keep to their word and see what happens in hopefully the coming days or weeks.

[Via Technobuffalo]

Advertisements